Hidden Villa: Director of Administration and Finance
About The Organization
Director of Administration and Finance
Hidden Villa seeks a seasoned and highly collaborative Director of Administration and Finance to oversee all fiscal and financial responsibilities of the organization, in collaboration with the Executive Director, Senior Management Team, and Board of Directors.
About Hidden Villa
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization that uses its organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. Hidden Villa fosters educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another. The organization has 35 employees with an annual budget of $4M and an endowment of $7M. Since its founding Hidden Villa has maintained a deep commitment to serving diverse communities.
For more information about Hidden Villa, please visit www.hiddenvilla.org.
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director of Administration and Finance provides strategic leadership for the organization’s administrative and financial systems including finance, accounting, information technology, and human resources.
Hidden Villa is seeking a collaborative, tech-savvy leader for the organization’s finance, human resources and information technology functions. In partnership with the Executive Director and Senior Management Team, the Director of Administration and Finance formulates and implements policies, procedures, and technology solutions to achieve Hidden Villa’s short- and long-term goals. This role reports to the Executive Director, supervises a part-time Controller and full-time Staff Accountant, and acts as a partner to all department heads in financial, HR and administrative matters. The ideal candidate is familiar with nonprofit financial management using QuickBooks online, has strong analytical and interpersonal skills, is an expert in multi-system data management and has a strong understanding of the use of technology solutions for finance.
The Director of Administration and Finance will:
- Develop and implement strategies and enforce accountability regarding recruitment and staffing, employment processing, compensation, benefits, training and development, records management, employee relations and retention, and labor relations.
- Support management and employees by providing HR advice, counseling and decisions.
- Drive changes in personnel policies and other personnel procedures and communicate these to the staff.
- Serve as plan sponsor and administrator of the organization’s 403(b) plan.
- Partner with the Operations Manager on the benefits open enrollment period, job postings and hiring processes, and improving the onboarding process.
- Analyze the organization’s needs and recommend technical solutions.
- Guide decisions regarding new technology needed by all departments, to ensure efficiency, security, and integration with existing systems.
- Participate in implementations of new technology to ensure proper setup and seamless integration with Finance and other systems.
- Develop, maintain, and enforce policies and procedures around technology and telecommunication.
- Manage outside IT consultants in the areas of desktop support, network management, and security, and increase staff capacity for troubleshooting and triage of technology issues.
Risk Management/ Compliance
- Ensure the organization maintains all appropriate insurance coverages, complies with all OSHA requirements regarding safe workplaces, and maintains an Illness and Injury Prevention Plan, in conjunction with Property staff.
- Process all workers’ compensation claims and review incident reports; work with Property staff to improve safety.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team and Controller.
- Contribute meaningfully to the organization’s strategic planning efforts and lead in identifying ways the organization can work more efficiently.
- Prepare, analyze and communicate monthly and annual financial statements and reports for all stakeholders and annual compliance filings.
- Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep the Senior Leadership Team informed of the organization’s financial status.
- Prepare, communicate and present critical financial matters to the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Develop and implement endowment policies in coordination with the Board Investment Committee.
- Participate in LEAF (Senior Leadership) Team meetings, management team meetings, and staff meetings.
- Provide oversight of the annual audit process and serve as a resource to the Board Audit Committee.
- Oversee the regular payroll and serve as backup as needed for Staff Accountant.
- Work with staff to design and implement cost allocations.
- Review and approve expense disbursements, including the organization’s credit cards.
- Oversee implementation of technology improvements in Finance to increase efficiency and improve reporting.
- Maintain productive relationships with the organization’s banks, investment advisors and asset managers.
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management is required.
- Master’s degree in accounting or business administration or Certified Public Accountant
(CPA) license is strongly desired.
- Seven to ten years of experience in progressively responsible finance positions including
two years of management experience required.
- Nonprofit accounting experience required.
- Demonstrated expertise in accounting, spreadsheet, and database management.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks, MS Office programs and facility with current
technology, in general, is required. Experience with QuickBooks Online required.
- Experience with information technology integrations required.
- Knowledge of labor laws, including the ability to comply with the federal and state
- Technological savvy, with experience overseeing information technology staff or vendors.
- Ability to apply consistent standards while adapting to frequent changes in the
- Success in seeing beyond the numbers, identifying trends and new possibilities.
- Must possess an effective balance between attention to detail and a big-picture perspective.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, and the ability to build relationships with diverse staff and board.
The successful candidate will have:
- A strong commitment to advancing the mission and vision of Hidden Villa.
- Ability to identify priority needs and develop strategic options for effectively addressing those needs.
- Ability to receive input and work collaboratively.
- Ability to productively influence discussions and decision-making.
- A high degree of self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative and transparent manner effectively with Board members and Hidden Villa colleagues.
- A commitment to and practice of producing detailed and precise work.
- Ability to see where best practices may be applied.
- Acts with integrity and honesty.
- Strong listening and perspective-assessment skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment during times of ambiguity.
- Natural ability to understand what motivates others, how to find collaborative opportunities, and how to foster a positive work culture.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to connect with diverse communities.
To apply or nominate an individual please provide a cover letter and resume expressing your interest in this position to email@example.com with “Hidden Villa – Director of Administration and Finance” in the subject line. All applications and nominations will be held in the strictest confidence.
Hidden Villa is committed to diversity in our workplace and our programs. The organization does not discriminate on the basis of any protected category.
Apply For This Position
To apply, fill out the form below or email us your cover letter and resume expressing your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Hidden Villa - Director of Administration and Finance" in the subject line. We also accept nominations of qualified candidates. All applications and nominations will be held in the strictest confidence.